Tuesday, October 16, 2012

decisions decisions...

I haven't mentioned it in a while, but my J O B and I aren't friends.

I have had a few new followers lately (welcome!) so here is some back story...

I have worked as a waitress at CB for 3.5 years now. The longer I've worked there, the more responsibilities I've been given. Normal, right? I would say yes if my paycheck numbers started to skyrocket to the same beat. But I've been paid the same amount since the day I started. $6/hr plus tips. And in a privately owned restaurant that's lucky if it gets busy, the whole "plus tips" excuse for the below minimum wage doesn't really fly anymore. On top of that, it's a bottomless pit of drama, and is 90% responsible for how much of a cynical bitch I have become over the last 3 years.

The one good thing? I hold a lot of seniority, so I have the schedule that I want. And the thing with me? I tend to go through the calendar a couple months in advance, map out the holidays, and build my schedule around them. Because I am obsessed with Christmas, and so serving a bunch of alcoholics burnt french fries is not a viable reason to be open on that day. Sorry, no can do.

I don't love my schedule right now, but if it means holidays off, I can stick it out until January.

What I can't deal with until January is the constant decrease in how much my boss (the owner) cares about the business, the employees, and pretty much anyone but her and her friends when they come in to drink. The insane hypocrisy, the drama (still waiting for that reality show, E!), the fact that I have to bend over backwards to do my bosses job for the same pay as our worst waitress. After 3.5 years, it's really taking its toll.

Don't get me wrong, as a person, I love her, she's funny and fun and more or less a decent person. As a boss, I think it's becoming more and more obvious that she doesn't want to be a part of the restaurant anymore than her employees do.

After a couple years of threatening to leave, I think I am actually going to do it. Starbucks is looking better and better every day, but there is one little thing keeping me from going there and applying right now.


Those pesky holidays.

I know it is a stupid and immature reason to not want to work, especially since I don't have kids, and my family doesn't do anything spectacular for Christmas or Thanksgiving... but why do they have to? It's a holiday. The whole country gets it off except for people who work in stores? That's ridiculous. Grocery stores I can see being open for limited hours. But a coffee chain? Fine. I'd work Christmas Eve, but I'm worried that I wouldn't have enough pull for Thanksgiving or Christmas Day, which are both all-day affairs for the people I spend those days with.

So my question is... am I being stupid in subjecting myself to two more months of BS at the CB just because I want to save my holidays?

I feel so immature and childish, but outside of hospitals, I don't see a reason for businesses to remain open. I realize not everyone celebrates Christmas, but at the very least, Thanksgiving is pretty widely recognized, regardless of your religion.

Argh. I don't know. I was so excited (albeit nervous) to be able to walk into CB and give my notice. But now I feel like I should wait, because the holidays are more worth it to me.

What would you do?


9 comments:

  1. I've never worked in a restaurant before, but I did date someone who was a waiter turned chef. The drama he told me...I can't even imagine being involved with it.

    I don't blame you for not wanting to work on holidays. I've been considering getting a second job, but I'm selfish and really don't want to give up my nights and weekends. I did for 8 years, and I don't know how I could go back to it. But the extra cash...that'd be nice.

    I think you need to do what's best for you. If the environment is toxic and you could be making more money somewhere else, then I'd say leave. If you think you can stick it out for another couple months, try it. Just make sure you're happy!

    PS: I also comment about everyone at Starbucks seems to love their job. I'll admit, I considered working there myself a few times!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't want to work the holidays either, although I have. I'm not loving my job right now either and I had to work on Thanksgiving a little while ago (it's early in Canada). The weekends and night shifts are getting to be too much. I guess the only reason I'm sticking with it is because I know I have a new job lined up in a few months. So, I agree with Alissa in that if your work environment is toxic and effecting you personally then you should look at other options :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i used to think i couldn't make it one more day at my job which i started out loving and now dread going into work each day, there are positives and if you can make it through the holidays then definitely find another job, you can make it girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, question: could you afford to just take two months off? Have a break for once?

    If not, I don't think it's stupid to want to wait to quit until the beginning of the year. Holidays are a big deal and you are ENTITLED to spend that with your family. We should all be able to go without Starbucks for two Goddamn days. The "Christmas isn't celebrated by everyone because not everyone is religious" excuse is bullshit. Christmas has pretty much just become an American holiday now, rather than a religious one. Every single atheist I know celebrates Christmas.
    I'd say, if you can't take time off, then just wait to quit until the beginning of January. I think you'd regret it if you were stuck working on Thanksgiving and Christmas Day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm too spoiled as a state employee (think ALL THE HOLIDAYS, paid vacation AND sick leave) to give my real opinion (it rhymes with "duck bat") so I'll just say; hedge your bets. After the holidays are over, give notice; that's really mature, and gives you time to job hunt. Although you should put your ear to the ground NOW -- Starbucks shouldn't be your only recourse, play the field!

    Have you thought of something outside of the service industry, so that your holidays will be safe forevermore, that also has weird hours that accomodate a student's hours? You're pretty darn literate, what about a copy editor?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think if you can have the holiday's off, then take them! No need to feel selfish, you put the work in so you could get the schedule you want. I would wait it out until January if you can. I have waited tables/bar-tended for years and I understand the drama you are talking about. You can do it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. ugh I don't even know what to tell you. I get the holiday thing. if it was me I'd stick it out (even though it sucks just to get through the holidays and then say adios!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I'd do the same as Stephanie. Stay for another couple of months until the holidays are over and then resign. At least I think I would, although it's hard to give someone REALLY helpful advice over a blog. :O

    I can see why you're annoyed though, this situation sounds very unprofessional and I think I would want to leave too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would take the holidays! I know there's a lot of drama but that's everywhere. When I worked in retail I had to work Thanksgiving and Christmas and that sucked. Now, I have the option at my new job and if I do I get double time and a half to do it. If I were you, I'd keep those holidays open! One the new year begins if you want to start something else, go for it!

    At the same time though, if the job is really dragging you down and you just hate to go to work (happened to me when I worked at the drug store) it might be better to leave. I didn't know it at the time but that place just dragged me down. I'm so much happier now and realize more and more how much I disliked working there. If that's how you're feeling maybe you should consider leaving. The holidays off are nice but being happy is so much nicer.

    ReplyDelete