Friday, March 1, 2013

friday's letters...



Dear March,
Where did you come from?? It feels like it was just February 1st! But, as long as you're sticking around, I was wondering, can you come in like a lamb and go out like one? While I was on the deck this afternoon, I had a weird "flashback" type moment like any given character on LOST (sound effects and all) when I saw patch of grass finally peeking through the melting snow. Okay, so it wasn't a flashback... more of an "oh my gosh, I just remembered what it felt like to be warm!" and the smells of spring and summer came flooding in.... Enough of the description. It's making me sad. My point is, I had a feeling that spring will be closer than we think.... don't make a fool of me, March.

Dear English Teacher,
So um... about that homework I submitted last night... I'm sorry if, in an attempt to put a lot of thought into the poem called "My Papa's Waltz", I over-thought and took from it that "Papa" had a drinking problem, and his "waltz" was another word for "abusive tendencies". Turns out it was actually about a kid dancing with his father. Whoopsy. In my defense, I was on a lunch break at work, and was far more focused on my oatmeal and Facebook than I was the book of poems. But anyway, sorry "Papa" for accusing you of being an abusive alcoholic. My bad. Drink your whisky without further judgment from the peanut gallery over here.

Hey... I hate poetry... what can I say?

Dear Coworker,
I realize I'm still newish, but I must say, while sometimes I like you, most of the time I just stand there and silently analyze your very obvious self-esteem problem while you babble on and over-share thinking you are impressing me with who you're currently hanging out with. I am new. Don't you see? You all look the same to me.

Dear Fellow Bloggers,
Question for you... speaking of work... I have been invited to a couple little things lately by my new coworkers. While I want to be social with them, and I'm not looking not to be friends... I did that whole thing with my last job, and well, it got to a point where I wished I had been a little more removed from the place during my four years there. Anyway, there is a little shindig happening on Sunday, and I don't feel like going. I'm going to make a sincere effort to be the person I wished I had been at the CB: the one who comes to work, does their work, has fun with coworkers while at work, but then returns home to her real life when the day is done. So here is my question: should I straight up say I don't want to go? Or should I make something up, like I have too much homework? I do have quite a bit, but, I also don't want that to sound like a go-to excuse. While I like the people there a lot, I am just not really looking for a social outlet outside of work, at the moment. Know what I mean? Not to mention there seems to be a boatload of drama involved with the people here too... so do not miss that aspect of my last job.

Happy Friday!

By the way, I am one follower away from the big 1-0-0! If I get there before Monday, I will include the Mark-Out Monday coffee giveaway in a bigger giveaway to celebrate, woohoo!

7 comments:

  1. I'd just politely decline this time, maybe with a little lie? "I have plans with X already, but thanks for the invite!" It sounds less "I have to go organize my shoes..." but doesn't make you sound like you hate them. Right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Maybe just say you already have plans. Still vague and not a complete lie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whenever you don't feel like going, don't go -- but if you do feel down, I'd say give it a try. You can always make up an emergency and leave if it ends up being a yuckfest.

    The big thing I hear from 30+ers here in BlogSpace is how hard it is to make friends as you get older. If you're going to spend awhile at this gig, you might as well feel like some of the people there are "real" friends.

    I'd give it a bit, though - find out what the cast of characters really are before tying yourself down. Looks like your overshare coworker helped you dodge the bullet on one front, at least!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Abou the poem, that made me laugh! In the first poetry writing class that I took in college, I read a poem written by one of my classmates and thought that the narrator was from a suppressed nation looking upon the bodies of their people and who felt the desire to start a revolution. I shared this analysis during our critique (which is unusual for me) and it turns out that wasn't it at all. But, my classmate really liked my interpretation and actually used that as inspiration in her revisions of the poem. And then, while we were critiquing I scared the living daylights out of another classmate who thought I said something (don't remember what) and I wanted to say, "No, that's not what I meant to say." Well, that is what I said, but instead of waiting for her to finish talking the words just kind of burst out of me as she was talking and they came out as a shout. So yeah, I totally get what it's like to completely misinterpret a poem! Also, I looked up the poem that you wrote about and... I kind of got the impression you did too.

    Regarding the shindig, I know that you and I are not the biggest fans of Oprah, but my coworker said that Oprah has said that when you turn down an invitation to something, you don't owe that person an explanation, so I'd say you can just turn down the invite without making up an excuse. If you have to make up an excuse, I think homework is a totally legit one to use. I used that a lot when I was in school. Sometimes I kind of miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that must be the first poem where there isn't some weird subliminal context. I say an A for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would say just tell them you will try and make it! And come Sunday if you don't want to go you don't have to go!

    Cute blog hun! Newest follower and thanks for dropping in on my blog too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhh My Papa's Waltz. I remember that poem and I hated it. If it makes you feel better, everyone in my class thought the dad was either an alcoholic or abusive.

    ReplyDelete