Friday, November 2, 2012

Friday letters: resignation style

But first, how cute is this little tot who probably epitomizes the feelings of all of us at this point?!


You and me both, sister. You and me both!



Head over to Ashley's blog to link up!

Dear Boss,

I quit.

Phew. That feels good. Too bad it's 10x easier writing this on my blog than it will be meandering down to your office one day and giving you the news.

You will probably ask why. At this point I'll get all nervous and flustered and be scared to tell you my actual reasoning. I will most likely come up with some BS excuse about how school is getting in the way (lies), there aren't enough hours (not true), and while I would like to stay (oh man the lies), it just isn't a good time for me to be working (or something.)

When really, what I'll be dying to say is, your business sucks. The drama is insane. In fact, most mental institutions probably have a higher sanity rate than the miscreants you staff your restaurant with. One time, you walked back from the bar to go down to your office saying, "if you see someone at the bar who is looking around acting confused--", if you remember correctly, I jokingly interjected "hire them?" Ha. Not a joke.

You could care less about your business. Before when people would do favors, pull extra shifts, pick up slack... you would be thankful. Actually thankful. And now? Now it has gotten to the point where people are only as good as the next favor they can do for you. Nothing is ever enough anymore. I could probably work eight shifts one week, and you'll be sitting there wondering why I didn't work nine. I'll tell you why. Because I have worked for $6/hour since I started in March 2009. Sure, I know we make tips and all that jazz (though, technically, you need real business to actually make any tips), but I made tips at my first job too, and that hourly increased with minimum wage. And believe you me, when I was assigned more responsibility, I was also assigned more money to spend at Starbucks. See how that works?

I have gone above and beyond for you on numerous occasions. Over the last three and a half years, I have done more work outside my job description than you obviously care to remember, because even the times I jokingly hint at the idea of a possible one dollar raise, you come back with "well in some places, people only make $5/hour." Um, name that place, please, and I'll handpick my replacement from the collection of folks who are working for $5 and looking for a pay increase. I'm not asking for much, boss. I'm just asking that you at least recognize that you're paying your personal slave bitch bar wench the same amount your are paying your "I do the bare minimum" waitress. Fair? The jury's still out on that one.

Enough is enough. If you don't care about your business, why the hell should I? There is a principle you seem to be missing. If you don't want to work that night, or you don't want to make the schedule, or maybe you don't want to reprimand a waitress or give them negative feedback... Here's what you don't do. You don't ask me to do it. Why should I look like the jerk on your behalf? I am given management responsibilities without the management pay. Here's the harsh reality ratio -- business owner : business = Jesus : Earth. I'm sorry, you don't really get days off when you own a business. If you are open 7 days a week, then you may have to work 7 days a week. If something is wrong, it's your responsibility to fix it. After all, you are the one cashing in, are you not? Again, if you don't care about your own business, why should I bend over backwards for it? God forbid any of us ever approach you about your lax scheduling and hiring ritual, you make us feel like we are wrong for not being able to cover every single shift that opens up because you can't hang onto employees.

You are a fun person. Funny too. I liked hanging out with you and your family those times. Thank you for the occasional drinks you'd buy me. They were nice, and a fun social outlet. But it is to the point where I don't even want to be around you. I used to chat in your office. Now I can barely muster a "hey" when I get there in the morning.

The environment is toxic. The amount of people I know who have been shipped off to rehab in the time that I have worked there? More than I would care to admit. My sense of humor and overall demeanor have taken a tone of "mean" that I believe wouldn't otherwise be there. I was never sugary sweet, granted, but there are definitely a few things I would never be caught saying, had I not joined the ranks of the low lives of this particular restaurant.

I have had enough. My life has changed because of this place. Gradually, of course. But as I said, I am definitely a different person than I think I would have been if it hadn't been for this job. Granted, it brought me out of my shell a lot, which I am thankful for. But the rest? The mean jokes I make? The contagious gossip that everyone always ends up involved in whether they want to or not? I'm done with it. I'm ready to make changes. To really start fresh. I was going to wait until January, but now seems like the perfect time. If I have to work Christmas Eve, so be it.



Thank you for a lot, but not for everything.

Your former employee,


8 comments:

  1. YES! Good for you!

    I'm so happy that you applied at Starbucks, I have a great feeling about it :)

    I know what you mean about a toxic work environment and how it can change your attitude. I know the place where I work has no money, and there is no growth opportunity for me, so why would I go above and beyond my job? There are no incentives...no rewards.

    Which is why I cannot wait to write a letter like this and quit my job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, I was cracking up at that little girl when I saw her on the news. But seriously, I feel you little one. I'm sick of it, too :(
    Keeping my fingers crossed that you get that job at Sbux, darling! You need to get out of the CB.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! As bad as this may sound that post is hilarious because it's what every american worker wants to say to their boss but doesn't! Sorry that it's a toxic work environment but hopefully you'll get this new job and you'll be a lot happier!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If it's not too hard for you, I encourage you to give your boss a little more honest feedback when she asks for an explanation. You're quitting, and she's not going to have power over you - you have good reasons, she should hear that.

    Since you were real friends at one point, it can come from a compassionate, hard-truth sort of place; that the environment is toxic, effort goes unrewarded, and being a coffee-slave will actually, factually pay off more than your current position. Losing as valuable an asset as you will be a wake-up call, and if you give her real informtaion on the how and the why of it, you may be really helping the person who takes your place.

    That might be too difficult, I know that giving real reasons opens you up to awkward bargaining - "Well, what if I give you a bonus, how about that?" - but if you're quiet, you can be firm without having too work hard. If she offers you something truly worthwhile, you might reconsider; but after the long-term poor treatment, I doubt it. You've been essential there; one last bit of good information or advice, and you've officially done all you could.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh that sounds horrible!! I hope you get starbucks!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahahaha I LOVE THIS SO MUCH! I'm with you on the toxic work environment. Mine is the same way. It's HORRIBLE. I hate the person I am when I'm there. I'm mean at work, and I'm not a mean person by nature. (well, not usually ;) )

    I'm so happy you applied to Starbucks! Fingers crossed it works out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would be honest. No rude, but honest. I'd say that you are resigning because you don't feel like the environment of this job is appropriate/acceptable to you anymore.

    Good luck, I hope your new job is much better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. woooo congrats! I hope your new job is way better!

    ReplyDelete