Sunday, January 22, 2012

Here's the thing

This post is a good thing because I was fresh out of post topics. Shocking!

But then, this post isn't a good thing because, well, I'm still not sure I want to mention this on the blog.  I brought it up way back mid-2011, and kept saying I'd elaborate. Well, things happened, stuff went bad, I was in denial, and so I just pretended it wasn't happening. Because that was the easiest thing to do. And, oh yeah, we weren't telling 1/2 my family because they don't have a lot of training in leaving their judgment at the door when it comes to people not being perfect (by their standards, at least).

To be super brief, both because I don't want to fully get into it just yet, and because I have to run off to work in a little while......... I'm an aunt again. At least I'm 99% sure I am.

My and his girlfriend got themselves into a little situation last April. That "situation" is named Eleanor (Ellie) Grace, and she was born yesterday.

Cliffnotes version? My brother did the right thing, supported her, didn't push her to do anything about it, and even came home with an adorable little Red Sox baby hat. Well, a couple months later his girlfriend got really distant, told him to go on a trip he agreed to back out of after finding out about the baby, and when he reluctantly went, he came back a couple days later (our uncle passed away so he didn't stay the whole time) to find her even more distant, and a month later, she broke up with him.

He has made efforts to contact her throughout the pregnancy, and they worked at the same place so he would see her all the time, but she wouldn't give him very much, and it just seemed like she did a complete 180. She was super sweet, and then all of a sudden treated my brother like he had the plague. It pissed me off, but I tried to keep my mouth shut just in case this was some hormonal thing.

Well, fast forward to yesterday, I got the text from her (we had texted back and forth over the last couple of months, her saying she wanted to get together and discuss a few things... never happened..) that the baby was born.

So I guess I'm an aunt. And I want to be happy about it, but I find that I'm still doing that thing where I want to pretend it didn't happen. Not because of the baby. I love babies. And I've always wanted to be an aunt. But I think I'm scared to get attached to the idea of a baby, because, his ex-girlfriend seems to be on quite the power trip, and judging by what I've seen thus far, she likes where she is, and she likes having the upper hand.

I don't know. I hope things work out. I'm still clinging to the idea that they will. Erg. Hoping hoping hoping...

But anyway, I need to go to work, so I'll leave you with a picture my brother just forwarded me from her (because she didn't tell him until after the baby was born.... nice girl, huh?)

Mean mama or no, she is one freaking cute baby. :)

5 comments:

  1. Wow, his girlfriend definitely does sound like she's bit controlling and on a power trip. :/ I hope she grows up a bit and makes some sensible decisions. :)

    BTW yes, VERY cute baby! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow! Immature or not, that baby is cute. I hope they work things out because in the end it's not necessarily the parents that do have to suffer, but the baby will suffer. And she doesn't deserve this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww! She is adorable! I hope things work out and you are able to have a relationship with little Ellie. I hope her mother grows up, too:(

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, as a father, he has rights too! Sounds like she is one selfish girl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Sam...I hope things work out. I hope you get to be the great Aunt I know you will be. I hope that baby gets to know your family. She is a precious gift from God. I hope you get to spend time with the sweet baby.

    ReplyDelete