Wednesday, May 23, 2012

help! what would you do?

so this is random.

and an odd question to ask a handful of blog readers.

but, long story short, my parents finalized their long-ass divorce a couple weeks ago.

it ended with my parents agreeing to sell our house and split the profit.

my mom approached me with another scenario this morning that I'm tempted to take her up on.

If we keep the house, it means forfeiting a decently sized (to me) chunk of money I have saved in an investment, and possibly living "tight" for a while.

vs.

Having to move, getting a condo, keeping my cha-ching, and living more comfortably.

So I'm pretty much at a loss for what to do.

Pro's of staying here-

I love my house
Lie. I love the familiarity of my house. I've lived here my entire life, and the thought of packing it up and leaving it behind, never able to return if I wanted to is really sad to me.

It's not the most convenient time for me to pick up and move.
I took a year off from school while figuring out my "next move" after completing my Medical Assisting program last June. I'm finally getting in gear again and it's stressing me out. I hate school, and as I'm starting off with nursing prerequisites (as opposed to actual nursing classes) I'll need all the focus I can muster, since, unless it interests me (aka, not math), it's like pulling teeth to get me to put any time into school.

We're close to my job.
Seriously. I'm like a 3 minute car ride from the stupid CB. This is good for gas when I work a lot. Bad for me because I really need to get out of there, but it would be stupid for me to pass this up. It's easy money, and costs pretty much nothing for me to get there. If I were to only drive to work and back, I could probably run on a tank of gas for months.

I'm comfortable here.
This is similar to my first pro, but a little beyond not wanting to forfeit access to the house I grew up in. I have lived in my town forever, I know it like the back of my hand. I know how safe I am in each area at night, by myself, etc. It's just a serious comfort of familiarity which also seems stupid to give up for the opportunity to keep my investment money.

Cons of staying here-

I really like my money cushion.
The chunk o change I keep referring to literally sits in an account and collects little tiny bits as time goes by. I don't touch it, I don't think about it, I just let it be & take a lot of comfort in the mere knowledge that if I needed money, I would be able to fall back on that.

Things would be "tight" for a while.
I don't want to sound like a diva or snob or what have you. But long story short, I have been blessed with parents who never struggled financially, and well, I guess I'm sort of used to that, and therefore not good at living "tight". My Starbucks habit alone is a lot to keep up with, and knowing me, I'll have my "what's another $20 on top of my current payments?" every single $20, until I am out of money. So basically, I have a self-control problem. I can control myself, and did for months after getting Maddie, but then she is another expensive little toy of mine. She needs to be fixed, her vet appointments need to be kept up with, I'm thinking of adding a cat to this madness... Basically, the things that I'll have time for now because I'm young and lacking too many responsibilities, I won't have the money for if we stay here.

I feel like I'm  being selfish.
My mom has wanted for a long time to sell the house and move into a condo. She would continue to pay for the house because my job definitely doesn't pay me anywhere near enough to do so. And I wouldn't have my money to fall back on anymore.

Basically, I think the right decision is to move. But I also have a knack for knowing the right move, and then choosing the wrong one anyway.

Ugh. I don't know. What would you do?

Sorry for the vagueness. Blah.

I'm so sick of the stupid decisions. My parents during the divorce would always be peddling that "it will all be over and done with soon." Psh, yeah right. It started with the divorce being finalized.

6 comments:

  1. I think you should keep the house. Think of it this way. You have been saving that money cushion for some unforseen circumstance when you rrally need it. That is exaclty what this is. Money is just money. But your home is something you will enoy everyday. I think it would be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should move and keep your money. Coming from someone who has had to live tight, if you can avoid it, do so. Plus, you never know what might happen that you'll need money for. Shit, unfortunately, happens.
    I mean, you'll have to move out eventually anyway. You may as well do that when it'll make your mom happy and when it'll allow you to keep your money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep your money. The divorce and all that comes with it is not your fault, and you shouldn't have to deal with the consequences financially.

    You need to take care of you and your future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry to hear about your parent's divorce, friend.
    I'd say follow your heart... I know what you mean about the comfort of where you live but I will say that it feels so good to be out on your own and be independent! Whatever path you chose, I'm sure you'll be happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I were you I think I would move and hold onto my savings. Not a fun decision to have to make, though. :S

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you think that moving is the right move to make, I would say listen to your gut. The idea of moving can be scary and it sounds like it'll take you out of your comfort zone a little, but change can be good. (Keep in mind that this is coming from someone who doesn't really care for change.) So, yeah, my thought is to follow your instincts, especially if your instincts usually turn out to be the right path. You never know if you might need that cushion of money for something else one day.

    ReplyDelete