Thursday, July 12, 2012

My million dollar list.

Sometimes my mind wanders.

When I'm on the highway and I pass by the billboard advertising Powerball or Megamillions, I can't help but start to daydream about what life would be like if I were that lucky winner. What I would do, how I would live, with whom I would enjoy it.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has this fantasy.

I've always said that if I ever won the lottery, I have a list of people that I would fork some cash over to before going out to splurge on my new Lexus RX 350 and 15" MacBook Pro with Retina Display. Ha.. Haha... ;)

My mom.
She is the best mom I could ask for. Anything good there is about me, I inherited from her. She recently went through a long divorce process with my dad. It started out somewhat ugly, as he was still drinking in the beginning, it turned amicable a year or so in, and remained that way (between the two of them, at least... no thanks to lawyers and my dad's nosy side of the family, that is) even through the uglier ending. After it was all over, I was trying to come to grips with the idea of selling our house. I've lived here my whole life, and while I'm going to be 23 in a couple weeks, the idea of leaving is still hard for me. My mom, the amazing person she is, pretty much moved mountains to have the divorce settlement modified so that we could keep the house. So that I can live here while I finish school, and save a lot of money. I would love to write her a huge check that allows her to retire and finally start to enjoy her life now that this stupid divorce is in the past.

My aunt (my mom's sister.)
She is my godmother, and a hilarious one at that. Lately though, her life has been anything but fun and games. A couple years ago, her husband was diagnosed with lung cancer. After he was in remission, it came back with a vengeance. It was a year ago this past June that he passed away. I have never been to a sadder funeral. In the midst of all of the chaos and tragedy with my uncle, my aunt's entire pension was stolen from her by a certain asshole named Bernie Madoff. So now, not only is she alone, but she will have to continue working (she was approaching retirement age). For a long time. Who knows if she will ever have the luxury of retiring. She has worked so hard in her life, and dealt with so much crap. She deserves the chance to relax. I know that's what my uncle would want for her too.

Our veterinarian.
Back when we still had Chloe, she was diagnosed with kidney cancer. While she was on the operating table for what they thought was an infection, they discovered a melon-sized tumor that they claimed was "one for the medical journals". They called us in the middle of it, and said that it was risky, but that we had nothing to lose, and everything to gain from going through with it. Because if we didn't, she would die anyway. As he was on the phone with my mom, he told her he wouldn't even charge her for the surgery. That was one of the greater random acts of kindness I've been witness to. It was an expensive procedure, they used, I'm sure, costly supplies and medications, and they did it all for nothing. She survived for 3 years after that, with them calling her "the miracle dog" from then on. If I were to hit it big, I would make sure to let them know I didn't forget about their generosity that gave me three more years with my little BFF.

Children's Hospitals.
Does this really require explanation?

A blogger's relative.
A blogging friend of mine mentioned a relative of theirs experiencing intense financial hardships while trying to better her life, and I believe the lives of her children/family. Her story struck a chord and reminded me of my mom's side of the family. They are super awesome people, and deserve only the best. And I hate when people are only trying to do good, and can't afford to do so. So, while I don't remember exactly which relative, I will be sure to seek out this blogger and ask her if I were to ever win the jackpot. Didn't forget you either. :)

There are many more, but I'm sure this is getting a little long and boring, haha.

Who would you give to if you hit the big jackpot?

And you have to give to somebody... what good is money if you have no one to spend it with?

And how awesome would the feeling be, knowing that you just changed someone's life? Man that'd be cool. :)

Sorry for the incredible randomness of this post, haha.

1 comment:

  1. I feel like there's sooo many people I'd want to give it to that it'd take forever for me to start actually spending it on myself. I LOVE giving people things, especially when I'm surprising them.
    I've never cared much for receiving presents, even as a child. But giving them has always been sooo much fun!

    ReplyDelete