Monday, October 29, 2012

no school..... til January

Welp, we still have power. Honestly, I don't know if I believe this storm is going to be anything like what they predicted. At least for us up in northern Connecticut.

My theory is that Dann with two N's Malloy, our idiot fearless governor is running around like a chicken with its head cut off closing down highways and declaring emergencies inland as an attempt to rectify the poor performance during last year's hellish storm.

 Exhibit A.
Simba image borrowed from here. Artwork is a product of pre-storm boredom.

Newsflash, Dann with two N's, overcompensating this year isn't going to make last year's situation any less miserable.

Anyway, nonetheless, here I sit, waiting for Anthony to finish the last of his homework before I head over there to seek refuge from isolation-related insanity. But before I do, I figured I might as well fess up to a confession I have been avoiding because I'm a little embarrassed.

But there is no time like the present, and since I have nothing better to do, I guess I will get to it.

It's no secret that I have had a lot of trouble buckling down and choosing a career. So many things to choose from. I had so many interests, and this list only got longer the older I got. Rather than more concentrated and precise. I was having trouble narrowing things down.

Straight out of high school, I thought I would be a teacher. It seemed easy, and you got the summers off, right? Ha. I'm sure that's what every non-teacher thinks. And I probably still would think that if it weren't for all the bloggers out there who are teachers who write about their work. And man was I wrong about that. What a thankless job full unsung champions. Parents obviously, first and foremost, shape and mold their children. But the second biggest influence in kids lives? Teachers by far. Seriously. Go pat your teachers on the backs. Because they work hard. They earn those summers!

I digress.

Anyway, teaching wasn't my true calling. I loved kids, but my heart wasn't in it. You need more than a love for kids. And I'm not sure I had that "something" that would make me a good fit for teaching.

After that I dabbled in the business end of life, figuring, if I couldn't find anything else, there is always a place for people with a degree in the corporate world, right? I could picture it now -- me walking briskly in heels down the wet streets of New York City with my Blackberry in one hand and a latte and fashionable briefcase in the other.

Ha! That fantasy came to a screeching halt when I had my first Microeconomics class and shit bricks through half the semester before just withdrawing. Bye bye heels, bye bye Blackberry, bye bye briefcase. Bing. Bang. Boom.

In my younger years, I had wanted to be a doctor. Because, what kid doesn't? I believe it's squeezed somewhere between veterinarian and astronaut on the list of "what I want to be when I grow up." When I was a kid, I learned the word "stamina" when my pediatrician told me I had enough of it to become a doctor as he sent me on my way with a clean bill of health and extra paper gowns and culture swabs so I could more authentically "play doctor" to my poor innocent victims American Girl Dolls. Whom were diagnosed with "Strep Throat" and prescribed "the pink stuff" more than any one doll should have been.

With that memory in mind, I took a leap out of my comfort zone, and thought I would give the medical field a whirl. I joined an 11-month accelerated medical assisting program, and loved it. It was great. It came easy to me because I was interested in it. It was the first time I could ever say I wholeheartedly enjoyed school.

I decided I wanted more. I wanted to use medical assisting as a stepping stone to nursing. What's not to love? A career where you get to help people, work flexible hours, and make a decent living while doing so. It looked like the obvious choice. And so I started pursuing that avenue. I looked up what it would take, and re-registered into the community college system to knock out my new plethora of prerequisites. It turned out, to get a measly* Associate's degree in nursing, it would take me four years. That made my face fall.

* "measly" only because it would take for years. NOT discounting those with associate degrees. I just figured if it was going to take four years, I might as well be going for a Bachelor's, you know?

Since this is getting a little long, to make this story shorter, I basically spent the last two months weighing the pros and cons of this nursing business. People kept telling me that if I was this worried about it, then maybe it wasn't what I was supposed to do. I disagreed, but I think more because of the amount of money I spent in the medical assisting program. It was true, the idea of not working in the medical field left a sort of empty feeling inside, but at the same time, that could have been the burning loss of money.... who knows.

One day I was sitting on the computer farting around with my blog design, and I was on the phone with my mom whining about my life's problems. She mentioned for the millionth time her opinion that I should go into photography or web design since that's always what I loved to do on the hobby side of life.

I had always had an interest for it, but sort of shrugged it off as nothing more than a hobby, because of the economy and how hard it might be to find a job. This economy has backed me into an emotional corner. Where I am actually of the belief that the chances of finding a job outside of the medical field are pretty much nonexistant.

I know deep down this isn't true. But I am definitely one to take the path of least resistance. And it got to the point where if it would get me a job nice and easy, I would do it.

But that right there, is not a reason to become a nurse, where people's lives are in your hands.

And last Monday, as I was sitting in my Bio class, hating my life and wondering if I am just too stupid to understand this stuff, a thought occurred to me.

I don't want to do this.

Part II tomorrow. Only because this is getting too long. Not in a "let me leave you hanging so that you will come back and drool over my 'part two'" since I am well aware people aren't even hanging on every word of this post, haha.

Actually, I probably don't even need a part two. I think we all know where this is going. But I do have a fun diagram coming with the second part. There's some incentive, right? :p

Hope everyone is staying safe in the storm! I'm about to be one of those idiots driving in it to get to Anthony's house. Yay! Insanity!


6 comments:

  1. "This economy has backed me into an emotional corner." You and me both!

    I've been at my job for 2 years and I am miserable. I always wanted to work at a non-profit. I thought planning events and fundraisers would be great.

    Hmm...not so much, not so much.

    I have a job lined up that is not in my current field, but in a field I used to be in - daycare.

    DUN DUN DUN.

    I loved working at daycare. It was my favorite job in the world. The only problem with this new job is that the place doesn't offer health insurance.

    Oh boy, longest comment ever? I think so.

    Moral of my story: Don't do anything that doesn't feel 100% right. About two days before the biggest event my organization puts on, I had the same thought, "I don't wan to do this."

    Good luck - stay safe in the storm - and I can't wait to read part two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saw what you did there - matched the color and aligned the outline on the bit of Pride Rock that Simba was standing on, like a BOSS.

    Sounds like you're having a quarter-life crisis - a lot of my friends are having them, it leads to people suddenly moving away to become jazz singers and such. Ain't no one can tell what you should do, but at least you're in good company for the emotional rollercoaster - we'll all throw our hands up in the air together and scream "WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WITH MY LIFE AAAAAHHHH!"

    The way I'm working through it is by pursuing what makes me feel best - financial security makes me feel safe, and I feel nurtured by that sensation although many of my relatives insist I should be writing/drawing/crafting/etc. professionally, citing the "do what you love" credo - but I strongly suspect that if I was slaved to it for my bread and butter, I wouldn't love those things as much. I don't want to ruin how much they relax me, so I'm definite on keeping them hobbies. Besides, it's normal to hate an office job, so I'm free to live the cliche of loathing my 9 to 5 and then go home to unwind with my other activities.

    Think in abstracts first, maybe? What will feed you best - feeling safe, feeling invigorated, feeling like you're making a difference, what will keep you going when it's really hard? Because I suspect pretty much any path we choose will have some serious rough patches.

    Competing with Alissa for long replies - that's what you get for having thought-provoking posts! I'll totally be back for part 2.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope whatever it is that is perfect for you is so clearly revealed to you. I'm already stressing about what I'll do once the baby starts school. My degree is PR/Marketing but with the hubs being military and us moving so much that isn't so conducive to a career in that field. Is legit bum an option? That sounds good ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahah I love that your pediatrician gave you medical supplies as a child! That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girlfriend. First of all, I have to laugh about the fact that you left high school wanting to be a teacher. I left high school wanting to be a nurse. Then you started pursuing nursing and I started pursuing teaching.

    ANYWAY. It's like you dug deep into my brain and splattered my thoughts all over your blog. This economy is a B. I'm currently the definition of umderemployed. It's taken me forever to figure out what to do with my life, and even though I've technically "figured it out," it's still scary and I still question it. But I have to do something. I need to be pursuing something. I've been at a total standstill for a year and a half. And you will figure it out too. It's taken me years of different jobs and thinking and overanalyzing to finally get a grip on what to do with myself.

    Basically I just want to be June Cleaver.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In my younger years, I had wanted to be a doctor. Because, what kid doesn't? I believe it's squeezed somewhere between veterinarian and astronaut on the list of "what I want to be when I grow up."

    LOL, so true! I also got a set of scrubs and a stethoscope and a surgical mask, hat and gloves from an event at school and I was ecstatic because I was almost like a real doctor! I actually have a picture of me in them. And then the doctor thing went away for awhile but came back in 7th grade and lasted till 11th grade. I was going to be a doctor and write best selling novels in my spare time. I was inspired by Lurlene McDaniel's books.

    ReplyDelete